Monday, March 28, 2011

The Weather

It's been an unusual year. We had more rain in November and December than we've gotten recently. Then January was completely dry. We had our "false Spring" during February, where I could work in the garden without shoes. (Gardening without shoes is something I take seriously. I gardened without shoes much of the year in Oakland and I view having to wear shoes in the garden as one of the things that makes Sacramento appalling.) Then it started raining. And it kept raining. More rain. And still more rain.

Because so much of the soil here is adobe, that means that you can't work the soil. You can't even walk on the soil, as compacting the soil may kill the plants. So I think of the things I need to do and wait for the ground to dry out a bit.

It's supposed to be warm and dry this week. The weeds need pulling.

No comments: