Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Too Lazy to Look Up the Right Phone Number

Not me. Wells Fargo Bank. We had a message on our machine on Monday evening. Call Wells Fargo. Oops, I thought. Someone has gotten hold of my debit card and made a large withdrawal. I telephoned the number, whereupon I was informed that this was a debt collection call. Huh? We don't owe anyone any money. I waited on the line and was informed that they were trying to collect on our home equity line of credit. Uh, I don't own a home. No home, therefore no line of credit. It appears that the bank is so dumb that they attached our phone number to someone else's line of credit. And we've had our phone number for 10 years. The debt collector informed me that it might take a couple of days to get the number out of their system. A couple of days? What? How difficult is it to delete the phone number? I'm somewhat technically incompetent, but I can delete old phone numbers with a couple of key strokes.

No comments: